Friday, October 10, 2014

Week 5: Unit 1 test reflection and Literature Romanticism

Date of week: Oct. 16th-19th
Wednesday, October 16th my class took the Unit 1 test for American Studies. I found that the test was mostly based on my ability to analyze sources being brief. I also was pleasantly surprised to find out that my notes were not needed as much as I anticipated. I feel like I did well with this assessment and ways of improvement being time management. By working toward this I can make my test taking skills sharper and not have stress out so much. For the next assessment I will do better than this time and keep improving as I move forward.

In American Literature we have moved into the Romantics Age and have read "Legend of Sleepy Hallow" by Washington Irving as well as "The Cask of Amontillado" by Edgar Allen Poe. The writing in this age has changed drastically from the Enlightenment Period into literature based on imagination. Which incorporates the supernatural, evil, mystical, rebellion, Gothic, and individualism. I have so far really enjoyed the readings that we have done in Romanticism because they get me very engrossed in the pieces of literature. Even though these stories scare me half to death I thrive off them as they give me anxiety, excitement, and fear. This gives me a huge question: Why do people enjoy something that they fear in life?

2 comments:

  1. I was also surprised to the fact that all those notes i had taken in American Studies over the many class periods were almost useless on this unit test. I was a little disappointed because i took quality notes anticipating that i would one day need them for a test. This test basically had text analyzing and quickly reflecting on the sources and finding meaning behind them. I actually thought those notes would play a role in test taking, but to my dismay i was incorrect. I guess that may be a reason why we are allowed to use notes; because they dont really aid much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On an entirely metacognitive note, I'd suggest that taking good notes makes the notes redundant; if you are conscientious in the way you record the information in the first place, it more firmly ingrains itself in memory and in your thought patterns. On the other hand, this exam was more about concepts and analytic skills, but I won't guarantee that all of our tests will be so. :)

    ReplyDelete