Date of week: September 22th - 26th
At this point in history slavery is creating high tension in the Union. The South is even threatening to leave the Union. It was clear that there would be no way to settle slavery without a war. The material that we covered in class has gotten me very interested and excited to get into learn about the Civil War. I have had classes were the Civil War has been briefly covered but mostly skipped over. I have also been to Gettysburg and gone through a guided tour of the battlefields including the museum that had tons of exhibits regarding the Civil War. I am thrilled that the class is going to cover the Civil War and based on what American Studies has been like for far the material of the Civil War will be quite informative and deep in content. I understand that the topic of war will be heavy content and I ready to take the content very seriously. Slavery and war will continue to tear the nation apart. While the class has been learning about slavery I have felt that everyone now days can learn something from how the African Americans were treated and apply it to their own lives. The basic lesson to be learned is to think about how you treat others and if any mistreatment does occur recognize it and change it. By looking to the past events that have had negative effects on today's world, example slavery, we can avoid making them again in the future. So a c all to action to eliminate the mistreatment of others.
I thought I had commented on this one before, however I think it was lost somewhere. But personally, I believe there could have been a way to solve slavery without a civil war through discussions and diplomacy. However, it does seem that both sides are very hard-headed and refuse to listen to each other, which caused the war to come. But it is definitely a good idea to take these past events into consideration and make sure that mistreatment doesn't happen again in the future, or today.
ReplyDelete